We approach the end of a school year; we are tired, therefore say these types of things over and over, when it’s quiet and you are alone:
- Truth exists.
- The Truth will set you free.
- You cannot make truth, nor can you sell it, nor can you make it into anything. It is. You are related to it.
- Your students need Truth, as do you.
- Truth leads to a great number of things: God, joy, happiness, wisdom, a vocation, the ability to live rightly in this world which includes loving (a small part of which is being able to earn the money needed to care for the needs of yourself and others), etc.
- Much of what is frustrating in the classroom is some error or impropriety regarding #1-5.
- A lot more of the frustration we face in teaching is outside #1-6 and lies in other expectations and pursuits we import into education when all that is truly important is contained in #1-5.
I truly believe that if we would maintain some mantra-like grasp of these 7 things, we would teach better, with more focus, and find it much easier to love our students as God would have us love them.