Majorly high ambitions with this blogfest…
Going to try and spell out my current understanding of education, classical and Christian…
- What is education? The cultivation of wisdom and virtue.
- What are the essential elements to such an education?
- The contemplation of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.
- The inculcation of the Seven Liberal Arts through the formation of the habits of a scholar. (Observation, Contemplation, Ordering, Writing (especially through study of the Progymnasmata), Reading, Seeing Math as a language, Using righteous categories, and understanding the use of the Common Topics.
- The inculturation of Christian ethics. (Respect, Order, Unity, Diligence, and Honesty)
- What does this require of the student?
- What does this require of the teacher?
- What other considerations should be made when attempting to accomplish this type of education in a school context?