Again, I am able mostly to communicate here in notes form rather than paragraph. There was so much in so little time. I continuously face folks who cannot see the correlation between Christ and the pagans and Dr. Newton certainly helped me a lot with that.
- Harold Bloom suggested two texts for understanding Western Education: The Republic, and Emile, by Rousseau. This is very helpful to see the shift from classical to modern education.
- Socrates – Good = God – Divided man into three parts
- Intellect – wisdom
- Spirited – courage
- Desires – Moderation
- When wisdom informs our courage and courage provides moderation, we have a just man.
- Aristotle expanded this out to five faculties (Soc’s three are there, just modified) = from highest to lowest again
- Locomotive capacity
- Appetite (spirited and desires)
- Augustine gave us the “will” which the Greeks were always puzzled by
- Intellect – seeks the true
- Will – seeks the good
All of the above led to a discussion of substances which leads to qualities which are distinguished by abilities. Abilities express themselves through habits (good = virtue and bad = vice) in activities (which are either better or worse). All these activities are aimed at objects.Oh, if we only had more than an hour.